Do I require planning permission to extend or convert my loft?
Your Permitted Development Rights enable you as a homeowner to convert and extend your loft, although what is permitted is subject to the following limits and conditions:
- A volume allowance of 40 cubic metres additional roof space for terraced houses
- A volume allowance of 50 cubic metres additional roof space for detached and semi-detached houses
- No extension beyond the plane of the existing roof slope of the principal elevation that fronts the highway
- No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof
- Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house
- No verandas, balconies or raised platforms
- Side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor
- Roof extensions are to be set back at least 20cm from the original eaves
- The roof enlargement cannot overhang the outer face of the wall of the original house.