The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 provides homeowners with a guide for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls, boundary walls and excavating near adjacent properties
The scope of the Act is limited to the following sections:

SECTION 1 of the act applies when the proposed works is to erect a new party wall which has not already been built on. There are two types of party wall:

Party wall type A which is where the party wall stands astride the boundary of land belonging to two or more owners, such as a wall of a building, a wall separating two buildings, or a party fence wall between two separate plots.

Party wall type B is when a party wall stands fully on one owner’s land but is used by two, or more owners. An example of this is when ‘Owner A’ builds a wall to begin with and then ‘Owner B’ has built their building against it without constructing their own wall.

SECTION 2 applies when the proposed construction project involves various sorts of works to an existing party structure. This part of the Act is most commonly used to:

- repair a party wall, floor or partition that separates buildings or parts of buildings

- underpin an existing party wall, to prevent settlement

- raise the height of a party wall, for example adding another storey

- to extend a party wall downwards, for example to create a basement

- to cut into a party wall or cut off projections from a party wall, for example when removing a chimney breast

SECTION 6 applies to the excavations or the construction of new foundations for a new building within either 3 metres of a neighbouring owners building or structure, or within 6 metres of a neighbouring building or structure, where any part of that work will meet a line drawn at 45 degrees from the bottom of the neighbouring foundations.

Prior to commencing any construction work as described within these sections, the home owner must give adjoining owners notice of these works. The party structure notice, relating to Section 2 must be served at least two months before the commencement date, while notices for Sections 1 and 6 must be served at least one month before the works are due to start.

There is no standard form of notice, although it is advisable to use the notices published by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).

A guide further explaining how the Party Wall etc. Act may affect someone who either wishes to carry out work covered by the Act or received notification under the Act can be found at the following link: Party Wall etc. Act 1996 - Explanatory Booklet

Under their general terms of service Arcline Architecture would advise on where the Party Wall Act applies and assist the client with the appointment of a Party Wall surveyor to advise on the next steps.

Arcline Architecture has worked closely with several party wall surveyors within High Wycombe, Aylesbury and Beaconsfield etc. and has a great deal of experience dealing with the Act.
Architectural Drawings by Arcline Architect

Planning permission was obtained for a residential scheme in Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire comprising of the erection of a two-storey rear extension, singles storey side extension and reconfiguration of the existing internal layout of the dwelling. The proposal provides the client with study and new entrance hall on the ground floor and a large master bedroom with ensuite facilities on the first floor.
House Renovations In Buckinghamshire by Arcline Architect

The two market leading websites which offer a large database along with recommendations and reviews of good quality and competent builders within your local area are:

As the builder's recommendations and reviews improve and increase their position advances up the rating table, so the better the builder the higher their ranking.

Architectural Drawings by Arcline Architect
Building regulation approval can be obtained through either a full plans application or a building notice application.

Arcline Architecture would typically recommend a 'full plans'approach as this requires that full details, including drawings and specifications of the proposed building
works are approved for the builder to construct from, prior to the works commencing.

A ‘building notice’ relies on the works being approved as they are carried out; this process leaves the client at risk for remedial costs if they are not constructed to the relevant regulations by their builder. Also, without a detailed set of drawings to work from, the construction process is likely to give rise to disputes.

House Renovations In Buckinghamshire by Arcline Architect

Using your Permitted Development Rights as a homeowner you can carry out certain types of building work, such as extensions, loft conversions and construction of outbuildings without the need to apply for planning permission.

Guides on what works can be performed can be found on the government link below:

Arcline Architecture would advise on the most suitable option in gaining consent; whether it be through a planning application or the permitted development route.
If your proposed scheme is eligible under your Permitted Development Rights we would always recommend obtaining a Lawful Development Certificate from your local council.

This certificate gives
piece of mind as it confirms that the works carried are lawful under planning control and that they meet the permitted development limitations and conditions.



Do I require planning permission to extend or convert my loft?

House Renovations In Buckinghamshire by Arcline Architect

Your Permitted Development Rights enable you as a homeowner to convert
and extend your loft, although what is permitted is subject to the following limits and conditions:

A volume allowance of 40 cubic metres additional roof space for terraced houses

A volume allowance of 50 cubic metres additional roof space for detached and semi-detached houses

No extension beyond the plane of the existing roof slope of the principal elevation that fronts the highway

No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof

Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house

No verandas, balconies or raised platforms

Side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor

Roof extensions are to be set back at least 20cm from the original eaves

The roof enlargement cannot overhang the outer face of the wall of the original house.